Thursday, December 18, 2014

Winter Wishes Tutorial


This tutorial was written by Amber Howard on December 18, 2014. Any resemblances to other tutorials are completely coincidental. Scripting and translating of this tutorial is forbidden. Do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere else on the internet. Please link back to the main blog instead.

In this tutorial I used the “Tranquil Winter” scrap kit by Ladyhawwk Designs.
You can purchase LHD’s scrap kits and an artwork license through CDO.
Please do not use any artwork or scrap kit without purchasing a proper license first.

Supplies needed:
PaintShopPro — I used X7 but any version will work
Fonts of choice — I used Impact, Julliscriptum Reloaded and Lyric Dragon.

Plugins needed:
Lokas Artistic Effects — Ice


Ready? Set? Go!
Open a 600x600 canvas and flood fill with #7a7a7a.
Don’t worry, we’ll be cropping later.

Open a fat or blocky font of choice. I used Impact because it’s so versatile.
Add a word of choice that goes with your kit using the following font settings:
Size: 170, Stroke: 4, Foreground: White, Background: null.

I used the word ‘winter’ in all capital letters.
Objects – Align – Center in Canvas.
Convert your text to raster layer.

Duplicate your text layer.
Hide the original for now.

On the duplicate layer: Adjust – Add/Remove Noise – Add Noise at 100% with Gaussian and Monochrome checked.

Next apply Lokas Artistic Effects – Ice with the default settings, making sure to turn the Color Overlay off.

Add a drop shadow of choice. I used V&H: 2, Opacity: 75%, Blur: 13.00.

Open another font of choice, something that compliments your blocky text.
I used Julliscriptum Reloaded with the following settings:
Size: 72, Stroke: 2, Foreground & Background: White.

Write another word that goes with your scrap kit and first word.
Convert to raster layer when happy, arrange at the bottom right of your first word.

Apply the same noise effect.
Apply Lokas Artistic Effects – Ice with the same settings.
Apply the same drop shadow.

Make the original blocky text layer active and visible again.
Take your magic wand tool with the settings Mode: Add, Match: RBG, Tolerance: 20%
and then select the inside of each letter of the word you typed out.
Selections – Expand by 3 pixels.

Open a paper of choice. I used LHD-TranquilWinter-Paper1.
Copy your paper and move back to your canvas.
Add a new raster layer above your original text layer.
Making sure this empty layer is active,
paste your paper INTO selection.
Selections – Select None.
Delete your original text layer.

Open a floral element of choice. I used LHD-TranquilWinter-Ele9.
Resizing will vary depending on the type of element chosen, but
I resized my element by 40%, all layers checked.

Copy and paste the element as a new layer below the paper layer.
Arrange on the left size of the canvas.

If you are using the same element that I used, grab your eraser tool.
Using the eraser tool, erase the following portion of the element:


Duplicate the element.
Image – Mirror Horizontal.
Image – Flip Vertical.
Arrange back beneath the word art if needed.

Merge the two floral element layers together.

Open another cluster/scatter type element of choice.
I used LHD-TranquilWinter-Ele69.
Resizing will vary depending on the element chosen.
I did not resize this element at all.

Copy and paste the element into a new layer above the floral element layer.
Add a faint drop shadow.
I used V&H: 2, Opacity: 25%, Blur: 5.00.

Open a snow or sparkle element of choice. I used LHD-TranquilWinter-Ele65.
Resizing will vary depending on the type of element chosen, but
I resized my element by 40%, all layers checked.
Copy and paste the element as a new layer over the scatter layer.

Open a ribbon element of choice. I used LHD-TranquilWinter-Ele44.
Resizing will vary depending on the type of element chosen, but
I resized my element by 40%, all layers checked.

Copy and paste the ribbon element as a new layer above the word art layer.
As an optional step, you can duplicate your ribbon element,
Take your eraser and erase portions of the ribbon so that it looks
like the ribbon is woven through the word art.

Either way, add the same drop shadow to the ribbon layer that you did the scatter layer.

Hide the grey background layer.
Merge visible.
Crop away the excess canvas and resize as needed.
I did not resize.

Open a pixel font of choice and add your credits, license (if applicable), and tagger’s mark.
Apply an optional gradient glow of choice.

Open another font of choice for your name,
with the same settings as the secondary word.
once you are happy with the placement,
convert to raster layer.

Adjust – Add/Remove Noise – Add Noise at 100% with Gaussian and Monochrome checked.

Next apply Lokas Artistic Effects – Ice with the default settings, making sure to turn the Color Overlay off.

Add a drop shadow of choice. I used V&H: 2, Opacity: 75%, Blur: 13.00.

Save as .png and you are done!
Thank you for trying my tutorial, I would love to see your results!

In this example, I used the kit Snowflake Kisses by Abstract Creations, which you can purchase at her store. The font that I used for the name is Ministry Script Stylistic HFF.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment